Sunday, September 19, 2010

Top 5: Things I love about Ecuador!
















I am taking inspiration from John Cusack in High Fidelity and I am naming my top five favorite things about Ecuador (in no particular order):

1. Alumerzos!!
These are three course set lunches that you can get for under 3 bucks. These meals save my life! They are tasty and oh so satisfying. It is a poor man´s dream come true. It proves that pobres (or poor travelers) deserve some good eats once in a while, plus a 3 course meal makes me feel fancy.

2. COCO!! Coconut is ubiquitous in Ecuador.
They have coconut milk shakes (batidos), ice cream (helados) and aqua de coco (coconut water). I love cocnut everything!! Coconut really makes life feel like a constant tropical vacation. It doesn´t matter if the weather is gloomy, give me a cocnut and I will feel like an islander.

3. People love my spanish here!!
I have gotten so many smiles and compliments, it is ridiculous. It has truly helped this little gringa with her spanish skillz, I want to talk to everyone I can. My ego is getting enormous.

4. Shortest bus journeys in South America, by far.
Eight hours on a bus may sound like an eternity or some peoples personal hell. Here in South America, eight hours on a bus is child's play, you are usually just about half way to your destination. But in Ecuador, this small and cute little country (by South American standards) eight hours can take you almost anywhere. I can go the whole journey with- out even worrying about making the driver stop to let me pee, this is good news.

5. Ecuadorians eat Breakfast!!
This is a first in South America. I am able to get eggs (anyway I want them), toast, cereal, and juice, all for about 2 dollars. In most South American countries they turn up their noses to Breakfast, preferring instant coffee or a stale croissant. Here in Ecuador they know how to start a day off right, with some frickin BREAKFAST! It truly is the most important meal of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment